I’m a firm believer in the motto ” you are what you eat”. Beauty from the inside out. As a beauty blogger, we sometimes forget about what’s underneath all those lovely beauty products that we have tried and tested and we often forget what effect all of these products can have on our skin. I guess we need to think of our skin as a separate entity. We need to clean it and take care of it but we also need to make sure we are feeding our skin what it needs.
Here are some skin super-foods which could help transform your skin from blah to tah-DAH!!
- Eggs: B vitamins and sulphur for clear skin
- Salmon; omega 3 fatty acids
- Tomatoes: antioxidants and lycopene
- Avocado: moisturising vitamin E
- Chicken; protein for skin repair
- Brazil nuts: selenium- powerful antioxidant
- Oranges: Vitamin C: collagen production
- Lentils: fibre: helps flush toxins
- Broccoli: ultimate superfood: antioxidants and vitamins A, B, E and K.
Obviously there are sooo many more great skin superfoods but lets face it I’d bore you to death! If you want to know more about great skin booster foods, give it an ol’ Google or simply ask me in the comment section below! :)
Foods to try and avoid/ consume minimally:
- Dairy instead opt for a soy/rice/ almond alternative
- sugary foods
- Anything with a high salt content
Of course the top tip to good skin is hydration! Even though it’s the most told tip in the beauty world, you need to make sure you are getting your 2litres a day and try your best to swap things like tea and coffee for a herbal tea like Green tea which is great for glowy skin.
On top of your food and drink, you could also take a vitamin supplement specifically tailored toward hair and skincare. Viviscal and Perfectil are great brands for both and I would recommend them to anyone. However if these are out of your budget Boots and other pharmacies do their own brand of “beauty-biotics” targeted for skin, hair and nails.
Healthy skin sample meal plan (using the skin super-foods mentioned above):
- Breakfast: Boiled egg with gluten free toast- banana and green tea
- Lunch: Avocado salad: tomatoes, cucumber, avocado, rocket, spinach, red onion and peppers. Drizzle with oil and balsamic vinegar ( add salmon for a non-veggie version) and 1 mandarin
- Dinner: Lentil and bean stirfry: (add chicken for a non veggie version) Lentils, assorted beans, broccoli, carrots, courgette, onion and peppers. Soy sauce, garlic and chili flakes.
- Snacks: brazil nuts and soy yoghurt
Once you’ve stuffed yourself silly with these nutrient rich foods, you can then try slopping some of these goodies onto your face as a fresh face-mask! Honey, oats and natural yoghurt is a great simple recipe to try… plus you can eat the leftovers! ;)
Ok guys, that’s all for now!
Just a wee reminder that of course I am in no way a skin-expert, I just have a huge interest in beauty and health and thought I’d share some tips! Hope some them helped! Let me know if you’d like to see more of these types of posts!… I’ve got a few good’uns up my sleeve. :)
Thanks for reading, Until next time, Bye!