Anyone who has ever encountered me will probably know that I am a huge Tea fiend. While I will always remain faithful to my trusty Lyons.. every now and again, I like to dabble in something a little bit more interesting. Herbal teas, known for their links with weight loss and incredible skin benefits, have increased in popularity over the past few years. I thought it might be helpful to share a short guide to Herbal Teas, which are my favourites and when I like to drink each type. If you are a coffee lover, LOOK AWAY NOW!
Morning time: I like something zingy in the morning, and since I can’t really have coffee due to stomach issues, for me, Green Tea & Lemon is the next best thing. Kick starts your metabolism, cleanses your system and makes you feel all fresh.
Mealtimes: Peppermint is fabulous to have right after a big feed. Soothes your stomach… and gets you ready for dessert… just kidding(ish). It’s also great for any sort of tummy ache or any upset stomach. So
Bedtime: Chamomile is known for its calming properties and can be really great when you want to unwind after a long day. I find a cup of this before bed, does the job. This is also great for any fellow stress-heads out there, I tend to keep a few bags of these in my handbag… call me crazy!
Dieting: Got those god-awful cravings for a pack of haribo? Why not try a fruit tea? It will give you that sweet kick but without the sugar. My personal favourite is Blueberry and Acai!
I mentioned it in my Christmas gift guide but Tea Pigs ( http://www.teapigs.co.uk/) would be a great place to browse if you’d like to try something new. But if you are starting off, your local supermarket will most likely stock all the basics to kickstart.
What is your favourite herbal tea? Let me know in the comments below!
I’m pretty much Miss Lazy when it comes to changing up my skincare routine. I tend to stick with a product, once I know that it works for me, in the fear of aggravating my already pretty moody skin. HOWEVER, when a gal spots a possible dupe along the skincare aisles of Boots… she just cannot say no!
I’ve used Bioderma for quite a while now and I will admit that while it’s a really great product, it’s also a pain in the bootay to get my hands on. From topping up my PayPal account, surfing eBay and waiting patiently for the Postman month to month, I was more than ready to find a more readily available product.
Yes, when it comes down to basics, micellar waters are pretty much just glorified cleansing water but.. with added magical powers. Pretty much one soaked cotton pad will banish your make-up for the night. It’s a non-rinse, fragrance-free, hassle free make-up remover. You get 400ml in each bottle (bargain!) which claims to give you 200 uses… not so sure about that yet, but so far so good! My face feels squeaky clean after use but not dry and it’s also fragrance free so no nasties on my sensitive skin. While it does the job on cleaning your mug, it’s not to be used in place of your normal cleanser. It is a make-up remover but you will still need to cleanse and moisturise your face afterwards. Ha, no shortcuts ladies…
This product retails for about €6 and can now be found in most pharmacies nationwide. If you are in the market for an affordable and fuss-free make-up remover, then Garnier has got you covered.
Sorry Bioderma, but you just got SERVED!
I’m sure you are all familiar with the painful razor burn, the wax rash or that stubborn stubble that will not shift. The beauty world, isn’t always so glamorous and sometimes we need a hero product to battle our beauty woes.
I have ridiculously sensitive skin which is not fond of any sort of hair removal. The majority of the time, I am left with annoying ingrown hairs that can actually become quite painful. I’ve tried all sorts of products and even some home remedies (eek) but none of them have battled the problem. I was recently very kindly sent Waxperts to try out. I have been using them for over 2 weeks now and I’m very impressed. Not only do they help to get rid of ingrown hairs, they can be used to battle a multitude of beauty sins. It has been known to be great at treating Keratosis Pilaris (those pesky red bumps on the backs of your arms), acne and keeps your skin super smooth.
But what makes them work, you might say? Well, these pads contain 3 key ingredients that work together at treating, healing and preventing your skin after you shave or wax.
- Salicylic acid which works as an exfoliator, causing the skin cells to shed more readily, opening clogged pores and neutralizing bacteria within, preventing pores from clogging up again.
- Rosemary which has anti-inflammatory properties and
- Panthenol which improves hydration and stops the skin becoming itchy or inflamed.
The pads are easy peasy to use, simply rub the pad over the area that needs treatment each day. I tend to do this before my shower, but it’s really down to you!
Other helpful tips I find great at keeping ingrown hairs at bay are:
- Always use a sharp razor
- exfoliate with a good scrub at least once a week
- use a body brush before you shower to stimulate the hair follicles
- and lastly use the Waxperts pads.
The tub contains 40 pads at a mere €7.99 and can be found in over 300 salons nationwide or directly from their salon in Dun Laoghaire by phoning 01-2140757 or by e-mailing: firstname.lastname@example.org. It will be launching in pharmacies soon too so keep your peepers peeled for that!
I honestly don’t know what I did before Waxperts, thank you for coming into my life!
For pretty much my entire life, I’ve always gone for very “in yo face” nail varnish colours. I tend to wear mostly black on a day to day basis, so I live wildly through my nail colour. Recently, I’ve been feeling a tad crazy, and thought I’d dabble on the more neutral side of life.
I picked up Nails Inc Gel Effect polish in the shade: Porchester Square recently on Feel Unique, and I’ve fallen for it already. To me, this lilac-y greyish shade is the height of nail sophistication and will literally go with anything. The Gel effect formula will give the “recent manicure” look with none of the effort and with less of a tug on those purse strings.
There’s full colour pay-off in just one application and it lasts chip-free for days! This shade is beautiful but if you are looking for more of a punch they also carry some beautiful reds and pinks (that I might secretly have my eye on, shhh!)
Nails Inc Gel Effect polish retails for roughly around €18 and can be found in most department stores, select Pharmacies and online worldwide. I bought my bad boy on http://www.feelunique.com/
G’wan and treat yourself now, gals.
A huge thumbs up for 2013!
Phew, I took my sweet time but ladies, it’s here, my pick of the best 2013 had to offer! So grab a cuppa’ cause this is gonna be a long’un!
- Foundation: Rimmel Stay Matte Mousse
- Powder: Rimmel Stay Matte Powder in Translucent
- Concealer: Collection’s Lasting Perfection Concealor. Been using it for nearly 3 years now, I’ll be gutted if they ever discontinue.
- Blush: Sleek Blush Trio in Lace
- Eyeliner: Soap & Glory SuperCat liquid liner in Extreme Black
- Lipstick: 2013 was all about the plum lip for me. I couldn’t get enough.Rimmel Kate Matte Lipstick in 107, MAC Rebel and Revlon Just Bitten Kissable lip balm stains in Crush.
- Lipbalm: Nuxe Reve de Miel has stolen the show second year in row. I simply cannot find anything better. Will 2014 change that?..we’ll see…
- Mascara: Maybelline Volum’Express The Rocket Washable Mascara. I’ll admit, I didn’t like it at first but now I’m a huge fan!
- Eyeshadow: Rimmel Scandaleyes shadow paint in Golden Bronze and Maybelline Colour Tattoo in “On and On Bronze” (I realize these are quite similar)
- Highlighter: Clarins Instant Light Perfector, just the right amount of glow without looking shiny.
- Bronzer: I’m not a huge bronzer gal but on the odd day that I used it, I stayed faithful to my trusty Nars Laguna.
- Brushes: Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman.. they are simply the best
- Shampoo: Very boring, but Pantene for Fine hair has kept my locks happy this year. Cheap and cheerful.
- Conditioner: L’oreal Ever Riche … you are all probably sick of hearing about this bad boy by now but it really is worth the hype
- Styling product: Dove Refresh + Care Dry Shampoo; dry shampoo that isn’t sticky, doesn’t leave residue and acts as a volumiser at the same time? Surely it’s magic?! Move over Batiste. I’ll be posting an official review soon, if you’re intrigued.
- Hair Tool: I’m still just as obsessed with my Tangle Teezer as I’ve always been but a new hair tool addition to my hair care routine has been the Babyliss big curl curling wand. Creates large waves rather than ringlets.. adds a lot of controlled volume.
- Cleanser: Clinique Take the day off cleansing balm
- Moisturiser: I dabbled in a few fancies this year but I have to admit that I always came back to Simple’s Light Daily Moisturiser. The skin wants what the skin wants
- Serum: Trilogy Rosehip Oil has changed my skin’s life. Possible my star find of the year!
- Treatment: Indeed Labs’ Hydraluron. I gave in to the hype half way through the year and boy am I glad I did!
- Spot Treatment: Origins Super Spot Remover.
- Mask: Origins Mega Mushroom skin relief mask saw me through a few pretty rough times during the year.
- Lip Scrub: Lush Popcorn lip scrub, I fear I’ve ranted and raved about this so much already. So i’ll just say it’s great and leave it at that.
- Body Moisturiser: Sanctuary Dry Oil
- Scrub: Soap & Glory Sugar Crush Scrub..possibly one of the greatest things you’ll ever smell.
- Shower Product: Gillette & Olay shaving foam
- Perfume: Marc Jacobs Daisy and Viktor and Rolf Flowerbomb
- Foot care: It’s a part of my body I sometime’s neglect but last year I used some lovely products to keep my piggies happy. For all the nasty dry skin, I used Emjoi Micro Pedi which is one of the best foot buffers I’ve ever tried. To follow this, I then used my Soap & Glory Heel Genius foot cream.
- Candle: Overly predictable but yes, it was a Yankee Candle, this year I was loving Blueberry!
- Nail Polish: I was a tab overly obsessed with the neon nail trend that went on this year. Call me clingy, but I’m bringing it with me to 2014, nobody can stop me!!
- Book: Can I cheat and name a trio? This year I was blown away by Gillian Flynn’s book, namely her famous “Gone Girl” but also her first two books; Sharp Objects and Dark Places. Gritty at just the right level. Love them.
- Movie: The Great Gatsby and Django.. very close tie.
- T.V show: Karl Pilkington’s The Moaning of Life. I watch far too much T.V for my own good so this was hard to choose, but I guess this show stood out to me most! Hilarious right through. Honourable mentions go to Girls, Orange is the new black,Walking Dead, Dexter, Sherlock and The Following.
- Food: Cadbury’s Marvelous Creations, my life has felt more complete since this came into my life.
- Artist/Band: Lorde; new discovery this year
- Song: Jay Z Tom Ford… I loved this album fullstop but this song has been on replay nonstop since it was released. H to the Izzo and all that….
- Album: The Great Gatsby literally left me gobsmacked. Just as good as the movie, if that was possible,
- Style Trend: Can I be predictable and say Leather? No? Ok.. em well that’s pretty much what I wore ALL year. #wannabebiker
Wooh.. that was probably one of the toughest lists I’ve ever had to compile. There were so many other things that I loved during 2013 that sadly couldn’t make the list, but stay tuned for them featuring in more of my reviews.
Bring on 2014 and what it has to offer!
Thank you for reading now and for all of 2013, you guys are my ultimate favourite! (Ew, too mushy??!)